Sunday 8 July 2012

Red Spice Road - Melbourne - 27 McKillop Street, Melbourne

It is like I have just discovered the happening place in Melbourne.

I had heard about Red Spice Road but for this to be my first visit, I felt like I was a bit behind the times.

In terms of decor and atmosphere, this is up there with the likes of New York.

The main room has a massive (I mean "50 people on the inside and outside" massive) round table with an enormous red lantern in the centre.

There is a fantastic bar to the side full of super hip people; although with dark moody lighting I find that everyone looks a bit more hip.

The menu is expansive, on the Thai side of Asian.

We started with eel mixed with chilli, coriander and lime in betel leaf - the eel was smoky and succulent and overall super tasty.

Next was ocean trout tartare with lime, chilli and herbs which was as fresh as anything and great eaten on top of prawn crackers.

Twice cooked coconut lamb ribs with chilli jam were crunchy and moist; if you are not in fatty foods then avoid, but if you are me then enjoy.

Finally, pork belly with apple slaw and chilli which my friend says is the best in town.

Overall a great vibe and a place to keep coming back to try tasty bits of this and that and everything else.

Great variety of wines too.

Cost is around $75 per head including a bottle of good wine.

Red Spice Road on Urbanspoon

 7.5/10

Adles

No comments:

Post a Comment