Sunday 8 July 2012

Araliya - Melbourne - 629 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn

My best friend is Sri Lankan and I have had the best of this cuisine home cooked at birthday parties, engagements and many family occasions but I have never been to a Sri Lankan restaurant in my life.

It is about time and Araliya is a good start.

The decor and atmosphere is a bit 90s but kinda suits the cuisine. Service is calm, punctual and friendly and the food is really very good.

To "whet your appetite" as they say, we started with Sri Lankan short eats which is a mixture of tasty savoury parcels.

The "main attractions" included deviled prawns - seriously juicy and fresh prawns with chilli, ginger and lemon juice. Also in there was fish roasted in banana leaf which was good but not excellent; perhaps try the lamb or beef instead.

The vegetable and rice dishes are very well cooked.

Not as good as I get back at my friends' home but still enjoyable.

Note sure of the overall cost but mains are around $35 and entrees around $22.

Araliya on Urbanspoon

7/10

Adles

No comments:

Post a Comment